Thursday, November 3, 2011

I had a Dream...1

I had the oddest dream this morning. It startled me so much that I awoke at 4:30 am and could not go back to sleep.

Picture if you will a gentle countryside, such as one might find in the more picturesque areas of Georgia or West Virginia. It was lightly wooded with a well established dirt road leading to a parking glade between an old worn-out house and a large clapboard church. I was observing the scene from somewhere above and remote you might say. As if I were looking in through a window in the sky.

Down below were a fair number of teen-agers all in stereotypical 50's clothes and driving an assortment of period cars. I noticed the turquoise '57 Chevy convertable immediatly.

The kids were all drawn to the house which, I had just become aware of, was engulfed in flames. Rather than calling for help or dousing the flagration, they were dancing and celebrating wildly. One youth in particular was foremost in the pandemonium.

He stood at least 7 foot tall with a ruddy complexion, clear blue eyes, close-cropped blond hair and the face of Owen Wilson. He kept screaming something to the effect of, "Now you know what I'm about! I'm Martin Harrison!"

Now I am completely unaware of anyone famous named Martin Harrison. This was all the more perplexing because I simply knew, in the way we "know" things in our dreams, that this was Martin Van Buren the President in his youth. Nevermind that van Buren died in 1862. For the purposes of my overwrought brain he was an 18 year-old semi-giant in 1958.

Suddenly the kids began to scatter. There was no sign of wildfire or the scream of approaching police. Ten or so of them rushed into the Church, including the ringleader. My perspective followed them right up to the door where Martin "Owen Wilson-Martin van Buren" Harrison hollered into my face, "I'm Martin Harrison!!!!" and quickly slammed the door.

If anyone would care to interpret my dream, they may forward their analysis to Peaceful Brook Sanitarium and Secure Facility, where I will be taking a Sabbatical of, as yet, undetermined duration.

1 comment: