Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Heather Feather and the Sad Sad Day

My dear wife Heather wanted to write a children's book. Like the selfish jerk I am, I took her title and wrote my own. Sorry. 

Heather Feather and the Sad Sad Day


  1. Heather was sad.
  2. Today was her last day in the big old house.
  3. Heather walked between the tall stacks of boxes, feeling very small. She wished her Daddy had not gone away so that she didn’t have to leave the big old house.
  4. Heather went out the back door. She could see trees and fields and a pond. This was her special place.
  5. During the winter, Daddy had taught her to ice skate on the frozen water.
  6. During the summer they had caught fireflies and made wishes as they let them go.
  7. On days they couldn’t go outside, Daddy and Heather would have adventures in the big old house.
  8. One day they were pirates.
  9. Another day they were a King and his Princess.
  10. Heather thought, “Now I will never play again.”
  11. Heather was very sad.
  12. As she sat on her swing, Heather saw something by the magical forest.
  13. Daddy had always told her to be careful near the trees. You never knew if a mean ogre would jump out at you.
  14. Heather put on her brave face and went to look.
  15. There, under a scary oak tree, she found a large red and white feather.
  16. “Oh, it is so beautiful,” she said. “I bet some good elf left it here for me.”
  17. Heather picked-up the feather and…
  18. …turned into a huge red phoenix with white feathers at her wingtips.
  19. With a shout of joy, Heather jumped into the air and flapped her wings. Higher and higher she soared.
  20. Over the magical forest.
  21. Over the pond.
  22. Over the big old house.
  23. Heather felt so happy flying that she forgot all about being sad.
  24. Soon, she heard her Mommy’s voice calling, “Heather! Where are you sweetie?”
  25. Heather didn’t want to come down from the air. It felt so good to be up in the clouds.
  26. Then she heard her Daddy’s voice.
  27. She looked around and saw another phoenix flying beside her.
  28. “Hello Princess. I am sorry I had to go away but I was very sick. I left you that feather so that any time you missed me, all you had to do was wish upon it and we could play together again.”
  29. Now Heather was very very happy.
  30. She landed right next to her Mommy and turned back into a little girl.
  31. “Mommy! Mommy! I found a feather and it changed me into a bird and I was flying all over the sky and I saw Daddy and he was a bird too and he promised we could have lots of fun together.
  32. Heather’s Mommy wiped a tear from her eye and said, “Honey, Daddy has gone away and isn’t coming back.”
  33. She knelt down and gave Heather a great big hug.
  34. But Heather smiled because she knew that Daddy always kept his promises. He would come and play with her. Any time she wished on her magical feather.


1 comment:

  1. It's good that I love you, right? My story would have had volcanoes in it.

    ReplyDelete