Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shere Khan Lives

Shere Kahn Lives

                  It’s a small apartment,
                  Barely enough room for all your things,
                  And through the doldrums of life you gaze upon its plainness,
                  Clean, safe, and dull.

5                 But, that's not what I see.

                  For I am the Great Hunter,
                  On velvet paws I glide about my domain,
                  Stalking what I will,
                  For I am the Master . . . of all.

10                The thickest jungle walls hide nothing,
                  I hear every bird, beast, and man,
                  The blood of my prey is hot and thick in my nostrils
                  So begins the Game of Life . . . and of Death.

                  I make not a sound in the pursuit,
15                Muscles working in graceful perfection,
                  Stop! Crouching low, I edge forward, a patient eternity,
                  Gather my legs beneath for a mighty lunge . . .

                  I pounce! Jaws clamp, claws dig,
                  A rolling biting slashing whirl of power and ferocity,
20                Until I hear the loving voice of my person,
                  And I am again Princess the Siamese being petted,

                  And I purr.


                                          Brian K. Eddy
                                          Sun Jan. 7, 1996


No comments:

Post a Comment