Tuesday, October 4, 2011

His Face, His Eyes, His Soul

His Face, His Eyes, His Soul

                  In Nazareth I was come one day,
                  From Ginea to Cana did make my way,
                  I stopped for water at a lowly home,
                  And over a young boy mine eye did roam.

5                 I saw his face unetched by care,
                  But by thought taken which is worldly rare,
                  Not handsome was he, a gangly youth,
                  Yet I perceived a radiance, the glow of truth.

                  My eyes were unknowingly drawn to see,
10                His wonder but wisdom when looking at me,
                  The blue of his orbs was a dancing flame,
                  I was aware of my life and he knew the same.

                  The water soon came and I touched his hand,
                  Purity I felt there like a burning brand,
15                A child had never taken my heart so strong,
                  I knew that this lad would never do wrong.

                  A fear but a love filled my very soul,
                  Even now I must leave, to achieve my goal,
                  But as I walked along each dusty mile,
20                My mind hearkened back to his heavenly smile,

                  Many years have passed, between then and now,
                  I've grown in life's strengths like an oaken bough,
                  Now by my riches I live in Jerusalem's lanes,
                  And a man, I saw by the last of Sol's wanes.

25                His face was strong, rugged but clean,
                  In the prime of life, humble I deemed,
                  Too many he spoke, his words I did not hear,
                  Whether truth he told, I had no need to fear.

                  His glance shot out.  It locked onto mine,
30                And power I felt as a sword sharpened fine,
                  No wound did it give me, except to my heart,
                  With guilt and deep anguish, I tried to depart.

                  My mind cried "run!"  The soul did recoil,
                  For I wanted to serve him so regal and royal,
35                His sermon enough to give mortal men pride,
                  Yet deeply was it hid, so humbly inside.

                  I took a step forward, his slave would I be,
                  My mind then took power and caused me to flee,
                  Who was this strange man that my heart had so rent?
40                What was his mission and why was he sent?

                  Twas a bright spring morning, one day before Sabbath,
                  When a commotion outside awakened my wrath,
                  The procession wound up to the top of the hill,
                  Golgotha, the skull-top where humanity is nil.

45                A cross stood there with one to each side,
                  This same man was there I fell and I cried,
                  Drawn and pale his face was that day,
                  Submissive and obedient the Sinless-One paid.

                  I sought for His eyes, just one little look,
50                For recognition came, though this evil it took,
                  That child, the Man, my Savior was He,
                  His eyes spoke volumes, His forgiveness of me.

                  The body was broken, His spirit still mighty,
                  I longed to go hold Him, with my arms round so
                                                tightly,
55                My limbs stretched forward but deny it He did,
                  Omnipotent power was just under hid.

                  I wept at His tomb side all that night through,
                  Thinking there was nothing on Earth worthy left to                                                    do,
                  Then an Angel appeared "Have comfort, good cheer,
                  Through your faith it is promised, He'll always be                                              near".


                                          - Brian K. Eddy
                                          January 21, 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment