Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Listen My Boy

Listen My Boy

                  Listen my boy sleeping in your bed,
                  You're born so small and helpless,
                  But oh I'm filled with a fear and a dread,
                  How will I ever know what's best?

5                 Son of mine you've grown in youth,
                  With all the joy that holds,
                  Of frogs and mud and a missing tooth,
                  Too quickly your life unfolds.

                  This child of mine is now a Man,
10                And he's leaving me this day,
                  Oh Father dear you've done all you can,
                  But now I must find my own way.

                  Too soon, my Lord, for him to die,
                  I need his loving hand,
15                To lead me through the shoals of Life,
                  My Sire, guide, and friend.

                  What was it that my Father said?
                  I had been born so small and helpless,
                  Just as you, my son, in your newborn's bed,
                  But you know, he always knew what was best.
                                          -Brian K. Eddy
                                          June 15, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment